Re: Solo DSC: was "Street Modified cost" (LONG)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solo DSC: was "Street Modified cost" (LONG)
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 13:36:17 -0500
dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> Let's do some quick math. Assuming 30 cars, 6 runs, 1 hour,
that works out
> to 180 runs/hour, or 20 seconds per run. Given that you run 2
cars at a
> time though (ProSolo style) you can have a 40 second course
(more likely, a
> 35 second course with a 5 second setup interval).

Uhh, no. If you _start_ a car every 20 seconds, you complete a
run approximately every 20 seconds, _regardless_ of course
length. We've been through this before.

> Assume 3 60 car classes, so 180 cars for the event. There are
122 runs per
> class to run the elimination ladder (366 all told) plus 540
runs for
> "qualifying". That's 906 runs just to process the whole field
without
> practice runs.

> Using 20 seconds per run, that's 5 hours (5:02, actually)
> just to process the entire field.

Correct, but course length is not a factor in this (unless
massive screwups cause many reruns because multiple cars have to
be redflagged). Start interval is the only operative parameter.

> "Steal with pride" is an entirely valid premise Jay.

You assume we all agree that the "victim" of our theft has
something worth stealing.

> It makes a ton of
> sense to look at other motorsports and see what works "over
there".

Not everyone agrees with your particular definition of "works,"
however.

> Why
> re-invent the wheel?

Agreed. Solo II works. Just look at trends in attendance figures
over the last ten years. Why mess with it?

> > What prevents "sandbagging" at this stage of the event?
>
> Nothing. Preventing "sandbagging" means that you assume that
sandbagging >is somehow bad.

Uhh, well, it _is_ "somehow" bad. The object of autox - as I
understand it, mind you - is to get _one_ really good run. Not a
bunch of mediocre ones. I'm not much interested in a sport that
rewards the latter.

> Every bracket racer with any experience sandbags. It's part of
the sport.

You've just illustrated perfectly why activities like bracket
racing (and, apparently Solo DSC(TM)) don't interest me. Couldn't
have said it better myself.

> In ProSolo, the rules (and the fact that the finishes are not
side-by-side)
> make sandbagging difficult, but not impossible.

And, unless my memory is pretty darn foggy, only a small minority
of Solo II competitors run in Pro Solo.

> In other words, it's deathly boring.

You know, I think I might just have to agree with you there. With
one added point: autox is boring to _spectators_, but not to
competitors. It's my belief that Solo DSC(TM) will be as boring
to the drivers as "normal" autox is to spectators.

> And that, I suspect, is its kiss of
> death.

If it works, more power to George. I won't be spending my money
to run there, but it may turn out to be attractive to others.

Jay