Re: Solo DSC: was "Street Modified cost" (LONG)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solo DSC: was "Street Modified cost" (LONG)
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 05:18:02 -0500
Jay Mitchell wrote:

> Where's the evidence that Solo II isn't working just fine in its present form?

I have evidence by way of the story of how I learned about solo II.

NASCAR returned to Watkins Glen International several years ago after a
long hiatus.  The associated hoopla brought it to my attention that the
track was open.  As a fairly new resident of the area who moved there
after F1 left, I had no knowledge of any activity there.  As far as I
knew, it had laid dormant until NASCAR came.

I attended a NASCAR event (before the _really_big_ crowds came.)  While
there I found out about other events scheduled, such as IMSA and SCCA.
SCCA?  I've heard of them, but what do they do?  I found out that, among
other things, those were the folks waving flags for NASCAR, IMSA and
other pro events, and got in free!

Well if they get in free, I need to join.

I ordered my membership package from Denver, and called the membership
chair at Glen Region.  He told me where to send me my money, and then
asked if I wanted to buy his old race car, a F440.  I said I was too
chicken to race, but he insisted I would still have a use for the car.
He went on to explain Solo II, and invited me to the next event.

I went to that next, otherwise secret, meeting, and I've been hooked
since.  I have yet to work a race, BTW, although I have worked a Solo I
in exchange for free Solo II entries.

SCCA has the same problem as ham radio.  Most people don't even know
those things exist or, more imprtantly, how to join, even if they are
interested in the types of activities that are involved.

That's my evidence.

Some say Solo II's not broken because fields are getting too big
anyway.  They want to keep the secret to themselves.  I don't.

BTW, I didn't buy the F440.  Sometimes I wish I had.