Solo DSC: was "Street Modified cost" (LONG)

To: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solo DSC: was "Street Modified cost" (LONG)
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 02:55:25 -0500
This is a modified copy of a letter I sent out describing Solo Driving
Skills Challenge (DSC).

"Here's a brief (?) overview of a system that has only 3 classes, which
relate to
the tires used more than anything. The basic structuring includes one for
showroom stock cars with street tires (maybe you can compare this to a
Novice or street tire class in the SCCA), another for competition cars on
"R" tires (including SCCA Stock, and SP classed cars), and the last is for
racing vehicles on slicks - similar to Prepared or Mod in the SCCA. The
rules are simple, the stock cars have definite rules to keep them showroom
stock, the race class includes those street machines with performance engine
swaps - such as my Caddy V8 powered Fiero daily driver - etc.

The competition starts at a Christmas tree (the timing starts when the beam
is broken, much like an SCCA start). The only exception to an SCCA start is
that jumping before the green, or not starting within 2 seconds of the green
will generate a DNF. The rest of the run is identical to a regular
autocross.

There is a period of time defined for practice. Our sessions - when we were
defining the rules and working the bugs out  - were an hour (per class).
With about 30 competitors in the session, most were able to get 5 or 6
practice runs in. I had time between runs to adjust tire pressure, watch
other cars in portions of the course I was having trouble with, etc (in
addition to "administrative" duties from running things). - and I personally
got 5 runs in the practice session.

I do this to rid the competiton of the navigational aspect the SCCA has
built in to their rules. After several practice laps, one should not get
lost on course, one should have learned the course and know what lines they
wish to use, for example. This is not out of line, what other motorsport
does not have practice runs? Drag Racing, you say - well, how much
navigation is required in that motorsport?

The time element is no worse than walking a course. My practice runs started
at 8:00AM, and were completed by 11:00. In our local SCCA, the course is
open for walking at 8:00, first car out is at 10:30 (ideally).

But then the "qualifying" begins. Three runs, exactly the same as the SCCA.
except the competitors are bracketed based on their best timed run. The
penalties are the same as the autocross as you know it. There are "trophy"
type awards- similar to the regional event "trophies" given out in the SCCA,
for the top driver in each bracket.

After a bracket is built by qualifying based on the competitors best times,
they have one run in the "Finals". (keeping in mind they have had more laps
on course than they would have in a normal SCCA competition already). A
method of handicapping is used (within each classification), and there is a
break- out rule (with penalties). This portion of the event is where a Class
winner is established, and this is where trophies are earned, actual
"Driving Skills Challenge Winner" trophies.

Then the 3 winners from each class go at it (handicapped, once again) for an
overall winner. A cash prize, or free entry to a road racing Touring Day, or
free gasoline from the event sponsor, (or something similar and of a value
far exceeding the entry cost) is awarded to the overall winner.

Instead of winning a trinket, dash plaque, or bumper/window sticker as
awarded for regional events in the SCCA, in this competition one could win
the same as a bracket winner, a trophy for class winner, and a cash (or cash
value) prize as he proceeds up the competition ladder - all at the same
event.

My rulebook is about a tenth the size of the SCCA rulebook. The car does not
matter, and there is no navigational skill required.  My car classifications
are simple, and will not change year to year (with monthly "clarifications")
as does the SCCA classing structure. The winner is the best driver that day
on that course. PERIOD. I call this brand of autocross "Driving Skills
Challenge", and that name is copyrighted.

Now, I have just given a very broad overview here. This type of motorsport
has been tested (and the necessary adjustments have been made) under fire. A
timing and scoring program was developed (it was derived from a drag racing
T&S program - so a Pro Solo type event is possible). Solo DSC does work,
and it works well. There were critics, of course, and their comments were
heard and analyzed. Some adjustments resulted from those comments, also,
BTW.

There are other nuances to DSC, such as paid corner workers. Competitors can
opt to exchange entry fees for work assignements, but not a requirement.
Child care will be available to keep the kiddies off pit and paddock,
allowing Mom and Dad to devote their mental energies to the competition (and
yet have little Johnny where they can visit and check on).

Entry fees costs more than the current SCCA autocross program, about the
same as a day at the drags, and less than any road racing program. Yet it
offers double, even triple the seat time than does Solo II, is equally or
more competitive, and the car you drive does not matter.

When I find a permanent site, I will run a couple more practice runs before
I stage my first real competition. It will be awhile before this form of
autocrossing hits the press, so to speak, but it is coming."

That is where the SCCA should head with their program. The driver should be
the only factor to winning, as he/she is in Solo DSC.