Re: SM2 at Topeka

Subject: Re: SM2 at Topeka
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:26:24 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> CP is case in point. Somebody with a lot of money, access to the right
> people, and the will to do so could build a car that would likely
> _decimate_ CP (look very, very carefully at the rules. A "proper" CP
> car is something very much like a modern Trans Am or GT1 car - how
> many cars in CP even *approach* that standard? - with construction
> costs much on par with what it would cost to build a modern Trans Am
> or GT1 car)

You know, I'm getting pretty sick of hearing comments like this, and
especially my buddy's Jeff's.

How about you guys actually _build_ a car and come _decimate_ CP and
_then_ talk about how easy it was?  At least one hotshoe driver last year
tried to jump into the class.  As I recall, he didn't fare too well.

I think you'll find that the top 5 to 10 cars in CP are built pretty
damned well right now.  Can they be better?  Sure.  Can that be said for
_any_ class that allows modifications?  You betcha.  In fact, as the
allowable modifications increase, so does the room for improvement.

Dennis, I know you probably didn't mean that comment the way it came out
and I'm taking it.  But to just drive the point home... You've said that
it takes 3 years working flat out to build/tune an SM car.  Ok, now take
all your rules about chassis suspension pickup points and throw them out
the window... :-)

Mark

(btw, I don't disagree with the point that a CP car can be similar to a
modern gt1 car.  However, I think you'll find that a lot of the top cars
are already similar with more getting closer every day.  A GT1 car will
always have the advantages of more centralized mass, better motor
location, and lighter starting weight however.)