RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: Two Driver Run Order 2002 Nationals

To: laurie_stern@Dell.com, evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: Two Driver Run Order 2002 Nationals
From: "Madurski, Ronald M." <RONALD.M.MADURSKI@saic.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:12:32 -0400
 : From: laurie_stern@dell.com [mailto:laurie_stern@dell.com]

 : But this grid discussion is getting rediculous.  As one of the chiefs
this
 : year, I know that the grid process is not perfect.  But I also know that
its
 : next to impossible to find a process that works completely.

Actually, the way it is written would work extremely well in most cases.
The smaller classes (less than 20 non-2-driver cars) would still have to run
intermixed with other classes for 2 driver cars.   But with 20 or more cars
in between, assuming a car every 15 seconds, that is 5 minutes and the whole
class would run together.  I thought that the supp as written was a
brilliant solution to the problem.

 : So here it is - you have been told how grid will work for 2002.  I think
 : Beth did a fine job explaining it.  Cars will run in numerical order.

She did a fine job of explaining her interpretation that was confirmed by
some unknown national staff who may or may not have seen/read the supp
presented on the list.

 : Second drivers of 2 driver cars will go out no sooner than 5 minutes
after
 : the first driver comes back.  Issues will come up.  They'll be reruns and
 : mechanicals and other issues.  We'll all just deal with it as best we
can.
 : And if we are a little off from being in exact numerical order, then
thats   ok!

Yup.  What's not OK is if someone gets to go before the 5 minutes because of
a timing error in grid and running it as the supps indicate and my example
shows would appear to mitigate that risk somewhat.   I had this happen to me
a couple of years ago.  In a rush to finish a heat I was let go a little
early and got protested for not waiting 5 minutes.  I had no idea I was just
doing what they told me to do.  It turned out OK for me, they (the rules
guys on site) decided that it was a procedural error and the protest would
be against the event not the competitor, but I felt bad.  I'd rather not see
that happen again to anyone.

 : The rules are set for 2002.  All your suggestions to change the rules and
 : theories are great.  If you really want to see a change in the future,
send
 : your proposals to the SEB for next year.  But just accept that this is
how
 : its going to be now, for 2002.

I will accept whatever they come up with.  I just want to know what it is
really going to be before I pull my car up to grid and at this point I don't
know.  I should think as one of the chiefs you would want to get this
cleared up, maybe present some examples, like I did, of how the classes will
be run.  This would go a long way to avoiding conflicts like what occurred
at the Peru tour.  It was quite obvious (after the fact) that not everyone
running grid there was running it the same as everyone else.

 : My advice to all of you - just try your best to be ready to go when the
grid
 : worker sends you! ;-)

As always.

Like I said before, I don't care how they do it, what order we go in, or
even if the class runs at the same time.    I just want to know what to
expect before I get there.

 : -Laurie Hyman
 : SML 91 - Austin, TX

Ron Madurski