Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Two Driver Run Order 2002 Nationals

To: tholt@ccsi.com, evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Two Driver Run Order 2002 Nationals
From: RX7cat@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:21:13 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/2002 4:52:06 PM Central Standard Time, tholt@ccsi.com
writes:

>>> My question is why is running in numerical order such a high priority over
> running as efficiently as possible.

Now that's a question I can't answer...I don't the hows and whys of how the
procedure came to be.  :-)

>>Using your example class below, lets > pretend this is the last class in the
> half heat.
> >>Okay... everything runs smooth up until it's time for 197... That would
> be
> the last car before the sweep vehicle, but we have to wait five minutes
> before he can run. Do you plan to run the sweep and pick up the audit forms
> before that class is complete? You will not be able to post 100% complete
> audited results etc... Or do we all wait 5 minutes doing nothing until time
> elapses? (course workers especially love that) If a rerun pops up for 197
> do
> we wait another 5? Just trying to get the full picture...

Well, now here's what we do in that situation...Timing tries to evaluate the
way the classes are ordered in the grid, generally if a class like my
imaginary one is in the heat, they try to put them at the beginning of the
heat so that we don't have to wait 5 minutes with nothing going on.
Sometimes there are too many classes like this in a particular heat to make
it so that there will be no downtime, but Timing and Scoring does it's best.

> >>If the first drivers go at the beginning of the heat and you run the
> second
> drivers as close to numerical order (like the current sups say) you
> eliminate the "designed in" delays... It seems like a more efficient plan
> me... why change it?

Well, again I can't really answer that.  Last years grid procedure was the
same as this years procedure, (and yes I know it may not have been run that
way every heat, certainly from what I understand there were some different
interpretations among the grid chiefs, but that's how it was intended to
run).
>From what I understand several years ago they tried pulling the 1st drivers
of 2 driver teams and running them before the class, but apparently they got
a lot of negative feedback from that.  Don't know why, I suppose it could
have something to do with say someone who picks #1 because they absolutely
want to be first car on course, and if they don't have a co driver, they
wouldn't be.  That's only conjecture on my part though.
I imagine if enough people write to the National office they could get it
changed, from what I understand they have already gotten several such letters
and are considering trying the other way next year, at least for some Tours.

Beth