Re: shop manuals

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: "Robert C. Christensen" <rchriste@state.nd.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:21:01 -0600
===== Steve Elzinga wrote: =====
I realize you were just making a point here, but FYI
any Subaru manual from 1996 on can be downloaded in
pdf format online at
<http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp>.  You get
72 hours of access for less than $20 which is plenty
of time to download everything you need.

Steve Elzinga
#55 CM

===== I respond: =====
Which is exactly what I have done for my STi.  Now I have it burned on a CD
that lives in the glove box.  But is this considered an "official version",
and would it suffice in the event of a protest?  I, for one, would not even
consider competing if it required the 1200-1400 investment in an official
"manual".  I guess that the really affluent, or really afflicted (by the AX
bug) would not hesitate to make such a purchase  But such a requirement
would make it hard to think of Solo2 as a "grassroots" motorsport.  I love
autocross, and plan to continue as long as I can.  If I get protested,
chances are, that I would offer the burned CD, and if that did not suffice,
I would not elect to fight it any more, and accept the DSQ and go home.
Same with any potential teardown.  Sorry, it's stock, bye.  Maybe that is
why the kids are flocking to such things as drifting.

Bob Christensen
04 STi (ESP???  AS????  STU???)