Re: Harness bar...

To: "Loren Williams" <Loren@invisiblesun.org>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Harness bar...
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:11:57 -0400
A harness installed using a harness bar alone is only allowed in AX in stock
and street tire classes where the likelyhood of a significantly dangerous
head on impact is nearly nill. It is is thus considered an auxiliary driver
restraint used to aid in keeping the driver in position and the vehicle
under control during quick manuevers the same as an upper body torso strap
wrapped around the seat. It is not a crash safety device, and cannot replace
or eliminate the OEM crash restraint system . Allowing the use of a harness
bar is IMO a concession to convenience and preserving resale value,
therefore there is no design restrictions except "cannot provide any other
function" to prevent the installation of "disguised chassis bracing" which
would affect handling of the car. It is not difficult to design/construct a
functional harness bar that does not afford any chassis bracing. Yes, you
could conceivably use a very weak harness bar under the rules, but since it
would not provide a functional harness mount why would anyone bother?
There is also no rule that says you must use a harness bar to mount a
harness in a hardtopped vehicle for the same reason. We have a harness in
our Celica that does not fasten to a harness bar. The only rule restriction
says that if a harness (or even a torso strap) is used in a softtopped
vehicle it MUST have a rulebook legal roll bar or roll structure as well.
Our Miata is also equipped with a harness but it also has a legal rollbar
installed.