Re: Harness bar...

To: Loren Williams <Loren@invisiblesun.org>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Harness bar...
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:25:52 -0400
--On Tuesday, August 23, 2005 3:24 PM -0700 Loren Williams
<Loren@invisiblesun.org> wrote:
> Honestly, with all the specs they have on roll bars, I'm surprised SCCA
> doesn't spec minimum requirements for a harness bar.  The way the rule
> is currently written, you could make a harness bar out of electrical
> conduit and compete in a car that is LESS safe than stock, which I'm
> sure is not the intention.

The way the rules are currently written, you could put a piece of rope
around the back of your seat and your hips and be legal, no other belts
or harnesses needed.  (To be more protest-proof, use a piece of flat
nylon webbing.)

The rules are amazingly non-specific about seat belts and harnesses.
There are no specifications, no mounting requirements, nothing of the
sort. When I was on the SEB I tried to push this button but there were
always more pressing matters...

I think the right solution is in Stock, require the OE seat belts to be
worn (with the existing exception for pre-1968 (?) cars), and disallow
harnesses and harness bars.  Those can be allowed in other categories
that also allow seat replacement.

The fact of the matter is that the only justifiable reason to wear
harnesses in Solo II is for driver performance, not safety.  If it was
about safety, we'd have definitions for harnesses and mounting systems,
like the GCR does. These driver aids do not belong in Stock, IMHO.

Mark