Re: Harness bar...

To: ".Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Harness bar...
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:02:08 -0500
Mark--

> The fact of the matter is that the only justifiable reason to wear
> harnesses in Solo II is for driver performance, not safety.

I will disagree with you on this for one primary reason -- the widespread
use of inertia reel belts in modern cars that do absolutely nothing for you
until the accident has begun to happen. For what we do, you might as well
not be belted in at all. Even the most rudimementary seatbelts from the '60s
were superior in this respect.

Therefore, what Stock class drivers are primarily trying to achieve in
their 21st century cars is seatbelt technology that approximates what
existed 40 years ago -- at least to the respect of holding the driver in
place.

That said, I rather like your concept of OEM belts (or replacement LAP belt
only) in Stock class cars. In classes where seats may be replaced, then so
can the restraints up to and including full harness.

--Rocky Entriken

(At the first Nationals driving in GS I managed to pop my belt open near the
end of the run [for reasons I won't go into here], went through one last
3-cone slalom and took the finish sitting on the handbrake. I think most
would agree that was not a very safe thing to have happen.)