Re: Miata classification question.

To: Charles Cox <charles@coastalbay.com>
Subject: Re: Miata classification question.
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:25:28 -0800
I meant "removable" in the sense used in the Solo2 rules.  It attaches
using 6 manually operated latches, and is designed to be installed and
removed by the end user.  It works just like a big T-top, and you're
allowed to take those off.  The Miata isn't the first car to come with
a completely removable top.  Think of the old British roadsters with
removable frame cloth tops.  I don't think that they are required to
run with the top installed.  Would James have to run with his roof
installed if he had a real Cobra?  It would just be wrong.  If I owned
a car with a removable hardtop and no soft top, the hardtop would
spend 80% of the time hanging in my garage; if I (and most owners)
drive it on the street without the hardtop, why would I have to
install it to go autocrossing?

If the hardtop for the Club Sport comes bolted or welded to the car,
then it won't be legal to remove it.  But I don't think it will come
that way.