Re: Any recommendations on Brake Pads?

To: "Dennis & Sherry Armstrong" <miata@pacbell.net>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Any recommendations on Brake Pads?
From: "James Creasy" <james@thevenom.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:27:14 -0800
i have used the axxis metal masters on my probe, and when warmed up they are
very impressive.  they seem like normal brakes when cold.  ive been through
a couple of sets of pads but no rotors yet (although i didnt mic them last
pad change- i should)

ive put the porterfield R4S on several cars, not sure they are better than
the metalmasters.

also used the carbotech panther pads, seem fine too.

i have porterfield R4 pads and shoes on the ITS road race car.  drove it a
few hundred miles on the street and the brakes worked cold.  the car suffers
on the track from the limitations of the stock brakes.  otherwise they seem
good.

they all seem about the same.  the only real difference i could find was $19
pep boys pads WILL fade on a very powerful car at laguna seca (and in 1
lap).  your brake fluid will likely boil before any of the performance pads
reach their temp limits, so high temp dot 4 brake fluid and brake ducts will
make more of a difference.  i went back to cheap pep boys pads on my street
cars.

on the street im impressed you drive hard enough to fade pads on that light
car, you wild man!  if your rotors are undersize (discard width), they may
not be getting full pressure from the pads.  new brake fluid reduces its
susceptibility from heating. that said i havent bled the probe brakes since
they went south on me in the summer of 1999 at thunderhill.

-james
OSP - Off Season Prepping