RE: electronic ignition

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE: electronic ignition
From: sanders%pogo@LANL.GOV (John A. Sanders)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 14:38:19 MST
I've been running electronic ignitions in my MGB's for a while now.
I've found that the Allison is more adjustable and lasts longer than a
Pirhanna (spelling?) unit. Take care when doing the rotor/cap phasing.
I also run a MSD 6T in the 69 with the Allison. It works well but one must
be concerned with the noise put out by the CD and the MSD coil. I have mounted
the Allison in the engine bay and would get some idle roughness. It would not
seem to be a problem at higher RPM's. The problems became much reduced when
I replaced the plug/coil wires with MSD's shielded wires.

The performance gain by fitting this stuff was noticeable but not spectacular.
The plugs do burn cleaner now and one has to take that into account when
reading the plugs for mixture adjustment.

The Allison without the MSD works well also.

John Sanders