Re: Re: electronic ignition

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Re: electronic ignition
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 15:22:04 pst
>From: encore.encore.com!yale!harvard!tc.fluke.COM!pwv (Pat Vilbrandt)
>To: encore.com!yale!sc9.intel.com!dstone
>Subject: RE: electronic ignition
>Cc: encore.com!yale!encore.com!british-cars

>> From: dstone@sc9.intel.com (D. STONE 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322")
>>      [...]
>>      but with a set of solid-cores wires, the MSD system
>>      and a 45K coil installed I'm still on the same set of
>>      plugs for 6 mos. now, ...

>Please, please, replace the solid copper wires with resistive wires!!
>(Or, at least, make sure that you are using resistor plugs!)  You wouldn't
>believe the "noise" that solid copper wires and non-resistor plugs generate!

>Anecdotal evidence of this:  One of the products that my company makes is
>an automotive-oriented DMM that, among other things, measures engine RPM
>using an inductive pickup on a spark plug lead.  Well, we were testing

A far more serious problem from automotive RF is the effect it has on
heart pace makers.  A neighbor of mine has had problems with auto and
motorcycle ignition RF on several occasions.  BTW, here in Santa Clara
there is a $50 fine for the first offense resulting from a complaint.

A better short term solution (in my opinion) to a plug fouling problem
is to use higher heat range plugs.  However, I would hang on to the
colder plugs for hot weather and long distance driving.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.HP.COM
CSX2282