RE: electronic ignition

To: yale!sc9.intel.com!dstone@encore.com
Subject: RE: electronic ignition
From: yale!harvard!tc.fluke.COM!pwv@encore.encore.com (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 11:50:09 PST
> From: dstone@sc9.intel.com (D. STONE 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322")
>       [...]
>      but with a set of solid-cores wires, the MSD system
>      and a 45K coil installed I'm still on the same set of
>      plugs for 6 mos. now, ...

So that's where all the RFI I've been noticing has been coming from! (1/2 ;-)

Don't tell me:  You don't have a radio in your truck, do you?

Please, please, replace the solid copper wires with resistive wires!!
(Or, at least, make sure that you are using resistor plugs!)  You wouldn't
believe the "noise" that solid copper wires and non-resistor plugs generate!

Anecdotal evidence of this:  One of the products that my company makes is
an automotive-oriented DMM that, among other things, measures engine RPM
using an inductive pickup on a spark plug lead.  Well, we were testing
some preliminary units on various cars, one of which was a power-puff pink
1955 Rambler American Classic, with, you guessed it, solid wires and
non-resistor plugs (& no radio!).  With this car, we could plug a short
into the input of the DMM, plug the inductive pick-up into the short,
dangle the pick-up *near* the engine compartment, and *still* measure the
engine RPM!!

So, take my advice - everyone who deals in RF will thank you!

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA