Re: Wire Wheels

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 23:56:01 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 5 Jul 1994, Roland Dudley wrote:

> Actually Dayton "chrome"
> wheels have stainless steel spokes.  At least that was the case
> a couple of years ago.

It's still true.  Dayton uses stainless steel spokes for reliability.  The
chromium plating process can cause hydrogen embrittlement, and steel
(plated or painted) eventually rusts, both of which are obviously
undesireable in a highly stressed part like a wheel spoke.  Stainless
steel avoids both problems.

> BTW, I've heard the same thing about Daytons being of better
> quality; but if you want to stay "original" I guess you'd have
> to go with the Dunlops.

Depends on what "original" means to you.  The "Dunlop" wire wheels
currently on the market aren't actually made by Dunlop, they're made under
license in India.  The complaints I've heard about them are that the
finish quality (paint or chrome) is spotty, spokes often aren't tightened
uniformly, and they go out of truth very quickly.  The Dayton wheels are
obviously not Dunlops, but they have a better quality record and visual
differences are so small that most people will never notice.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710   NEMGTR #2271
feold@umd5.umd.edu    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)