Nat'l Meet and Roadster List

To: Bshinton@aol.com, bitterrootprop@nidlink.com,
Subject: Nat'l Meet and Roadster List
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:51:47 EST
<< Why wouldn't Kansas be a good site for a national meet?  The SCCA Solo I &
II
 nationals bring about a thousand competitors, including roadsters,  from all
 over the country each year to Topeka.  The national solo site is just a
 couple miles from the Heartland Park road course which has about five
 different track lengths & configurations. >>

So, how much would it cost to hold an event at Hartland Park?  How much more
would it cost to use the facility.  Insurance, workers...etc?  Divide that up
amongst all the people that are going to attend and you are looking at big
$$$.

I belong to a racing club out here in California.  We run several courses
each year.  The costs for the club to run a day at the track is close to five
grand.  And this is a weekday rate.  You also need to make the bookings very
far in advance to get the dates that you want.  For us we book 8 months to a
year in advance.

So planning a Natl Meet at a road course is probably out of the question.
Whether you run it out of Kansas or Colorado or any other place you are not
going to get the numbers to make a race facility happen.  And comparing a
Roadster Meet to the SCCA...?  There is no comparison between the two.

I am all for an All Datsun Nat'l Meet if you can make that happen.  It would
be something like the BMWCCA has each year.  If you are looking at an All
Roadster Meet in the MidWest or Central States then in my most blunt opinion
you will not see the numbers.

On the West Coast there is a core group of Roadster Owners that will attend
meets.  But only if they are within the general 500 mile round trip range.
And in California, that is where they take place, within 500 round trip
miles.  Basically there are only three shows out here.  We have Shasta, 250
miles north of S.F.  Solvang, 200+ miles south of SF and Doheney All Datsun
at around 400 miles south of SF.

Another thing to consider is the amount of lasting interest in exclusive
Datsun Roadster Shows.  I would suggest that you also investigate the Z Car
Nat'l Convention numbers.  I believe that it is dropping rapidly.  Not
because there is less love for the car.  Because there are less and less of
the cars out there.  Because there are less and less folks who have an
interest in the cars.  Because there are less and less people deeply
connected to the cars.  Most of the young people dont even know nor have they
ever heard of Datsun.  (1984 name change)  Take a look at the 510 clubs too.
Same thing.  Not that it is wrong, it is just the way things evolve.

Myself, being in my 30's am in the lower age category of Roadster Owners.
Yes there are younger folks out there.  But the majority of the folks that
own these cars continue to own these cars because of a deeper affection.  No,
not because the cars are easy to work on or because they generate attention
everytime they buy gasoline.  Because there is a memory connection to the
days that have gone by.  And most of these folks, including myself are sure
not gonna drive across three states for a oneday meet.  Again, look at the
factors that come with age.  Work, young children, vacation time...age.  If
you think about it you may understand.  Three years ago I wouldn't have
understood.

I would love to see a Nat'l Roadster Meet but I truley do not think that it
can happen with any great success.  An all Datsun Meet...?  Maybe but again
the numbers are dwindling.

As for two Roadster Mailing Lists.  I see nothing wrong with it.  Car and
Driver or Road and Track?  I like both.

Take care and relax.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex