Re: OT-Metal Cutting

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: OT-Metal Cutting
From: Russell Southwell <rulee@cityscape.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:43:28 -0600
Daniel, as you have learned with the  hammer/drill episode, the proper tool for
the
proper job makes thiings goe much easier aand faster.
a hand held power band saw will travel on you when cuttiing even if kept in
perfect
adjustment, (rubbers wear out, rollers get loose) you have to usethe proper
blade
a blade for carbon steel will wear out in a couple cuts on stainless.
an oxy/acetalyene torch is no good for stainless with out proper shielding
stainless

sugars on you( turns black and grainy).
a good chop saw cuts staiinless well but the blade will flex and travel with too
much
pressure.
a floor mounted band saw is good if properly mainttained, and the proper blade
selection.
Plasma arc is great if properly maintained , but will not precisley cut tubing,
if
too large.
and needs a supply of nozzels and shields, and an air supply.
all these thiinngs will need a list of consumables, ie; blades nozzels, cutoff
whls
etc.
also when working stainless its best to learn the ideosychrancies(sp) of the
beast,
draws when welding , sugars when not shielded, corrodes when you use a carbon
contaminated brush on it, welds turn pink when finished(heat just right)
which type of stainless Austentenic or Marstentenic? grade 302 308 316 404etc
get yourself a good book on weldiing stainless and practice makes perfect.
bottoom line is proper tool for proper job.
Russ Southwell 70 1600