Re: Remove second gas tank on '70?

To: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Remove second gas tank on '70?
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 12:02:13 -0500
>Thanks, Ron.  While reading your post I seemed to remember that there was
>a difference in the fuel filler cap between the '70's and other years.
>Memory says that the earlyier caps were vented and the 70 cap was not.
>Here in Texas they are checking the caps now as part of the inspection.

You're right , Pat. I'd forgotten that. Guess between the two of us we
can come up with one solid set of memories. ;>)

I guess you could use a vented gas cap and run a length of fuel off of
the tank vent to a safe place under the car. I know out in Cali some of
the guys used to put the OEM intake/carb setup back on 510's to pass
inspection, then swapping it all back later. Course they were, and I
think still may be, subject to roadside inspections. Certainly I'd
"never" resort to anything like that. The thing that really ticks me off
is that in many places they'll do a visual inspection first and if the
(probably) minimum wage "inspector" even thinks something's been altered
they fail you. Never mind if you could pass a tailpipe emissions test.
It's never made sense.

I thought to whole idea was to make sure the emissions were within
limits. But then I sometimes still believe in Santa Claus, too.

Oh well,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)