RE: The "Evil L" and it's removal...

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The "Evil L" and it's removal...
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 21:52:21 -0700
I think it's just steel, but the hard rubber (or whatever they are) rubbing
surfaces are bonded to it, so any welding would have to be done carefully. If it
is damaged, I wouldn't even try to weld it up. I'd just replace it.

The problem isn't so much the notches that get ground into the bracket, although
the shavings are obviously bad for the engine. The real danger is that the
constant grinding of the chain will cause the bracket to fracture and break off.
If you were really concerned about the bracket, I'd suggest adding a gusset to
strengthen the bend.

I also have a suspicion that some people forget to put in the little bolt that
attaches the bracket to the head. You can see where it goes in the pictures (I
haven't installed it because this is just a trial assembly at this point). If a
head is milled too much, it can make it impossible to get the bolt through the
hole unless the hole has been opened up. Since most people don't think of this
until after the front cover is on and the head is bolted down, I suspect they
just skip it. I believe this bolt is important in supporting the bracket and
keeping it from flexing too much.

BTW, you can also get a good idea in view1 of just how close that chain rides to
the bracket. That's why you HAVE to keep checking the upper tensioner and shim
it if necessary.

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/Bracket_front_view1_sm.jpg
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/Bracket_front_view2_sm.jpg

Gordon Glasgow