RE: Light trucks (OT)

To: "'Gary McCormick'" <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Subject: RE: Light trucks (OT)
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:09:36 -0600
Did not mean to upset you guys.  By throw away, I mean that the car will be
in the junk yard at the end of its useful life - not because of initial
quality.  Be it 150K or 250K.  The body will be straight, the interior still
functional, but mechanicals worn out.  My favorite JY has acres and acres of
them - perfectly straight front drive cars/mini vans that just needs motor
work or trans to be a good car.  The trucks/rear drivers (BMW, Volvo...)
SUVs are all totals and scavenged of every good part.  Marc pointed out cars
that there are front drivers that are not throw away - very correct!  These
cars are loved enough to keep them running.  In fact, I love the new Mini
even if it is front drive.  The basic 4-door sedan/mini van is not loved or
even liked when they get older - people don't see spending the money on
them.  People can still see utility in a truck/BMW etc even after several
rebuilds - it still has value.

So, front drivers are fine, but most have a very finite life span.  Not like
our loved Roadsters we keep rebuilding, rebuilding.........

Phil