Re: OT-ebay ettiquet

To: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT-ebay ettiquet
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:23:56 -0700
Part of the mystique of auctions is the fact that the auction isn't closed
until the last minute.  If you really want a part you need to be there for
that last minute and bid up a bit higher just in case someone tries to
"snipe" you.  I rarely snipe; I'll usually bid a bit low first, then raise
my bid at the last minute - really in the last 5-10 seconds - if my bid
still stands.

Maybe he shouldn't have replied, or replied differently, but he followed
the rules.  Sniper bids are allowed.  You're chastising someone after you
commited an ettiquete faux pas - you sent out an email in anger.  You
should have just let it go.

At 08:50 PM 8/20/2002 -0700, Andrew Murphy wrote:
>Recently I bid on a part that I really wanted. Now I have lost auctions
>before, but this time it really bummed me out. I put what I thought was a
>very high maximum bid for the part and watched the auction closely.
>
>For three days I was the high bidder. Sure enough, in the last minute of the
>auction, someone bid one dollar higher than I and "sniped" the auction away
>from me. For some reason it pissed me off and I sent an email to the person
>saying they were a jerk for bidding at the last second for a part. Stupid of
>me, but I was mad and I do stupid things sometimes just like we all do.
>
>The guy writes back and says he does not have to justify himself to me and
>that he "just happened" to see the auction at the last second, decided he
>wanted the part, and bid high enough to beat my bid by a dollar. He then
>says I am harrasing him, he's forwarding my email to ebay and for me to
>never to write to him again.
>
>Right.
>
>The guy is a liar. No one bids in the last minute after "happening" on the
>part. He's a roadster guy. He checks ebay all the time. The fact that he got
>so angry with me proves he felt he needed to rationalize a poor act. He
>should have just trashed my email and said to himself  "The guy should get
>over it". I did. I still am. I could care less what this guy thinks of me.
>
>Folks, Ebay sniping is poor behavior. We all want the great parts. I pledge
>to this list that I will bid early and will bid my maximum amount when I do.
>Life is too short to screw people over.
>
>No one else need agree to this or even comment on it. Sometimes it's OK to
>do the right thing.
>
>Take Care,
>
>Andrew Murphy
>SoCalROC