Re: Regular gas...

To: Matthew Cox <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Regular gas...
From: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:39:34 -0700 (PDT)
Matthew,

You don't need a lead-additive in you fuel.  My father- a chemist in the
petrochemical industry for 30-yearsd and avid Model-A fan, wrote a paper years
ago on fuel additives.  I have a hard copy of it, and I'll scan it in shortly
for distribution.  The bottom line is that lead was an additive for additional
lubrication long since replaced by synthetic lubricants AND changes in engine
design that no longer require this additive.  As another author on the list
wrote, the valve seats may still suffer from a lack of lead additive, but
because of replcing the seats AND - again, the synthetic lubricant added to all
fuels, there's no need to add lead to your fuel mixture.

Your only worry should be making sure you have the right octane concentration
(temperature, pressure/compression, specific combustion characteristics) to
keep it from knocking, which has nothing to do with the lead content.

Perry Smith
'68 2000

Matthew Cox <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com> wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question... Do any of you use a fuel additive in each
tank of gas? I was watching a DIY channel show on car restoration and they
mentioned that you should put an additive in your classic car tank to
compensate for the leaded/unleaded gas thing. I know you can't run an unleaded
car on regular, but I always thought that it was OK to run a regular car on
unleaded.

Does anybody do this? Is it necessary or can I just keep running regular
unleaded?

Thanks for the info... this leaded/unleaded thing is a little before my time...
Matthew in Phoenix
'67 1600

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile