Re: [Roadsters] Rollbar and Ragtop: Can I have it all?

To: Stephen Wan <steve@olsonarchitect.com>, Embarq Customer
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Rollbar and Ragtop: Can I have it all?
From: alvin gogineni <alvingogi@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 00:37:17 +0000
I know my rollbar won't protect me in a rollover. In fact, with my helmet on I
am 2" ABOVE the roll bar :)
This is why I have limited my track time with the roadster and focused on my
Z33.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2826207320089849889MSWJxB
The rollbar is good for a few other reasons:
1) structural if you mount it to the frame
2) it allows safer mounting locations for shoulder harnesses
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2526541350089849889ZeurGE

Alvin GogineniSan Jose, CA67.5 SPL/SR20> From: steve@olsonarchitect.com> To:
andycost@embarqmail.com; datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Date: Mon, 4 Aug
2008 16:44:02 -0700> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Rollbar and Ragtop: Can I have
it all?> > That's just in a rollover. And depending on the car's postion and
direction > of travel, could land on the rear corner of the vehicle while
upside down > and take the initial impact. In that situation, I'd rather have
my head > poking past the line of the bar to the hood than the line from the >
windshield to the trunk. Too many varibles to say it won't provide any >
protection. And I'd rather have some protection than none. I'm also > looking
for the bar to protect me from the guy who runs a red light and > slams into
the side of the door.> Or the jacked up SUV that fails to stop and decides to
play monster truck.> > Steve> 70' 1600> > ----- Original Message ----- > > >
You all probably know my opinion on the whole rollbar deal but I'll share > >
it again anyway. The rollbar needs to be tall enough so that when a line > >
is drawn from the roll bar to the front of the car where it will hit the > >
ground, the drivers head will be 2" below the line. For a roadster that > >
means the roll bar needs to be much taller than will fit under a top. > >
Anything less than that will provide no protection (ZERO) to the driver or > >
passenger. It is only for vanity at that point. My advice is to leave > > the
rollbar out and operate the top easily.> >> > Andy>