fot

Re: Synthetic Lubricants

To: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>, Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Synthetic Lubricants
From: Ralph Steinberg <ralph@cloverleaf-auto.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:43:01 -0500
--=====================_1728887==_.ALT

At 12:15 PM 2/23/99 -0500, Jeff Snook wrote:
>Dear Vintage Racers,
>
>We are considering switching to synthetics in our Triumph TR3
>motors and have questions so I thought I would first access the
>information available through these two lists.  We have used
>standard petroleum based lubricants in the gear box and motor for
>many years without any noticeable problems.
>
>1.  What are the advantages of synthetic oils and why does it
>appear everyone is using them in their race cars?
>
>2.  Does synthetic motor oil require a different, "run in"
>procedure on a fresh motor?
>
>3.  Are synthetics compatible with standard oils or do you have
>to do some exotic flushing procedures before switching?
>
>4.  Any problems running synthetic gear oil in an overdrive
>transmission?
>
>5.  Does anyone know some technical people at any of the
>manufacturers, i.e. Red Line, etc.?
>
>Anxiously awaiting your replies.
>
>Jeff Snook
>Battle of Britain Racing
>Bowling Green, Ohio

  In very simple terms your car will have a little more horse power as
there is
less power loss due to friction, you will run a little cooler same reason, the
oil holds the same viscosity through extreme temprature ranges so less wear
and
tear at start up and it does not break down at high temp. you also get a
little
better fuel mileage. YOU CAN NOT USE SYNTHETICS WHEN YOU BREAK IN AN ENGINE
YOU
MUST USE NORMAL OILS FOR BREAK IN!!!

 Ralph
1958 MGA twin cam
1954 XK120
and we even run it in my buddy's 1939 SS100 race car
www.clverleaf-auto.com

--=====================_1728887==_.ALT

&gt;Dear Vintage Racers,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;We are considering switching to synthetics in our Triumph TR3<br>
&gt;motors and have questions so I thought I would first access the<br>
&gt;information available through these two lists.&nbsp; We have
used<br>
&gt;standard petroleum based lubricants in the gear box and motor
for<br>
&gt;many years without any noticeable problems.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;1.&nbsp; What are the advantages of synthetic oils and why does
it<br>
&gt;appear everyone is using them in their race cars?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;2.&nbsp; Does synthetic motor oil require a different, &quot;run
in&quot;<br>
&gt;procedure on a fresh motor?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;3.&nbsp; Are synthetics compatible with standard oils or do you
have<br>
&gt;to do some exotic flushing procedures before switching?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;4.&nbsp; Any problems running synthetic gear oil in an
overdrive<br>
&gt;transmission?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;5.&nbsp; Does anyone know some technical people at any of the<br>
&gt;manufacturers, i.e. Red Line, etc.?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Anxiously awaiting your replies.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Jeff Snook<br>
&gt;Battle of Britain Racing<br>
&gt;Bowling Green, Ohio<br>
&gt; <br>
&nbsp; In very simple terms your car will have a little more horse power
as there is less power loss due to friction, you will run a little cooler
same reason, the oil holds the same viscosity through extreme temprature
ranges so less wear and tear at start up and it does not break down at
high temp. you also get a little better fuel mileage. YOU CAN NOT USE
SYNTHETICS WHEN YOU BREAK IN AN ENGINE YOU MUST USE NORMAL OILS FOR BREAK
IN!!!<br>
 Ralph<br>
1958 MGA twin cam<br>
1954 XK120<br>
and we even run it in my buddy's 1939 SS100 race car<br>