fot

Re: Synthetic Lubricants

To: Chip Bond <tr4racer@ESINET.NET>
Subject: Re: Synthetic Lubricants
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:25:22 -0500
Chip Bond wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> I spent nine races last year working down from Mobile 1 20w50 to 5w30.
> Mid-season I was mixing ever greater proportions of the lighter blend. At
> the end it was just straight 5w30.  It is truely amazing stuff! I stripped
> the two season old engine in the fall and after 18 weekends bearing
> surfaces, cam and lifters, rockers, wrist pins and piston skirts were
> unbelievable. In my opinion it is the best "value" in racing.
> I change every 3 weekends and have considered putting the old stuff in the
> pickup, but lead might be a concern...
>
> It is tolerant of extreme heat. Like finishing the last 4 laps (slowly) at
> Watkins without a belt on the water pump.
>
> Break in with a session or two on something else, say, Castrol. But I
> understand that some manufactures are now putting it in cars fresh from the
> production line.
>
> Redline MTL in the stock TR overdrive has been very satisfactory. Leaks
> abound but it seems a small price to pay. I figure I can expect two seasons
> from an overdrive between majors. We would probably get more if the clutch
> were used during OD shifts but that's no fun... At least the failures
> aren't lubricant related.
>
> Regards all,
>
> Chip Bond
> Wannago Racing
> 1963 TR4 #37 EP
> WDC Region, SCCA

> Dear Vintage Racers,
>
> We are considering switching to synthetics in our Triumph TR3
> motors and have questions so I thought I would first access the
> information available through these two lists.  We have used
> standard petroleum based lubricants in the gear box and motor for
> many years without any noticeable problems.
>
> 1.  What are the advantages of synthetic oils and why does it
> appear everyone is using them in their race cars?
>
> 2.  Does synthetic motor oil require a different, "run in"
> procedure on a fresh motor?
>
> 3.  Are synthetics compatible with standard oils or do you have
> to do some exotic flushing procedures before switching?
>
> 4.  Any problems running synthetic gear oil in an overdrive
> transmission?
>
> 5.  Does anyone know some technical people at any of the
> manufacturers, i.e. Red Line, etc.?
>
> Anxiously awaiting your replies.
>
> Jeff Snook
> Battle of Britain Racing
> Bowling Green, Ohio
chip, right you are. during the mid to late '80's we ran the escort
endurance pro series with mobil 1 as one of the sponsors.  we were doing
6 to 24 hour races in a car that was no allowed an oil cooler.  after a
24 hour (plus practice time, etc) we would pull the endine down and
return the bearings to mobil.  they found no strange wear and we
actually started doing a 24 hour and followed it with a 12 hour on the
same oil.  on the dyno, you could do a run with anyh of the racing oils
such as kendall. change the oil and filter, replace with mobil 1 and
read horspower increases on the next dyno run.  ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive