fot

RE: Synthetic Lubricants

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Synthetic Lubricants
From: Chip Bond <tr4racer@esinet.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:49:49 -0500
Jeff,

I spent nine races last year working down from Mobile 1 20w50 to 5w30.
Mid-season I was mixing ever greater proportions of the lighter blend. At
the end it was just straight 5w30.  It is truely amazing stuff! I stripped
the two season old engine in the fall and after 18 weekends bearing
surfaces, cam and lifters, rockers, wrist pins and piston skirts were
unbelievable. In my opinion it is the best "value" in racing.
I change every 3 weekends and have considered putting the old stuff in the
pickup, but lead might be a concern...

It is tolerant of extreme heat. Like finishing the last 4 laps (slowly) at
Watkins without a belt on the water pump.

Break in with a session or two on something else, say, Castrol. But I
understand that some manufactures are now putting it in cars fresh from the
production line.

Redline MTL in the stock TR overdrive has been very satisfactory. Leaks
abound but it seems a small price to pay. I figure I can expect two seasons
from an overdrive between majors. We would probably get more if the clutch
were used during OD shifts but that's no fun... At least the failures
aren't lubricant related.

Regards all,

Chip Bond
Wannago Racing