fot

Re: Oil - what kind?

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil - what kind?
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 23:19:23 -0400
I have been breaking in my motors at the track with Valvoline racing
oil either 20w-50 or 40wt.  After that I switch to synthetic.  Until
last year I was using Mobil 1.  Last year I switched to Redline on the
advice of my machine shop.  No he does not sell any oil.  He told me
that the Mobil 1 does not have the right additives needed for the cam
shaft.  There is a problem, that the additives will settle out of the
Mobil 1 and other similar synthetics.  Some cam manufacturers will not
warrant their cams if Mobil 1 is used.  Redline, he tells me, has the
proper cam lubricants.  I had not had any problems with cam wear while
I was using the Mobil 1, however.

I do credit the Redline with keeping my motor from being a total loss
after loosing my oil pump and not noticing it until the engine
stalled.  The rods were toast, but the crank, pistons, liners, cam,
lifters, block, head, rockers, valves, etc were saved.  I have heard
of others with the same oil pump situation loosing the entire motor.

So if indeed the Redline saved that stuff or I was just lucky, I am
not 100% sure.  I look at it as insurance.  You don't usually need it,
but when things go bad it can save you from a significant loss.
Joe(B)