fot

Re: Oil - what kind?

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil - what kind?
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 18:21:07 +1200
Over the years that I rebuilt and used Triumph engines we tried all sorts of
things rather than relying on urban myth. Synthetics do not allow an engine
to bed in so it is essential to run in on normal stuff, when you are
satisfied it is all bedded in (and using a "normal" amount of oil) then I
have always used Mobil 1. For many years this was a 5W50 rating in the UK
but it was changed to 0W40 in the mid nineties, but I still used it and
changed the oil every 30000 miles whether it needed it or not and I never a
problem with any engine it was in, even rocker clearances never needed
altering. In fact the only problem with Mobil 1 was that it was made in
France, and was unnecessarily expensive
John Kipping