fot

Re: Oil - what kind?

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: Oil - what kind?
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:35:13 -0700
Bill Babcock wrote:

> Not to add fuel to the fire, but Wendell Capps, the guy that helps me out
> in the pits at a lot of races has an econoline van with 140,000 miles on
> it that has never been serviced in any way. No oil change, nothing. He
> swears that the only things he has ever done is add gas, tires, and
> windshield washer fluid. It runs great.
>
> I've changed the oil in my Yukon one time in 58,000 miles. My Ferrari gets
> an expensive sump full of whatever the dealership uses every 5K(I think
> it's Silkoline, but it might be hand pressed from endangered whales going
> by the bills), and my race cars, who knows. I pull them apart often enough
> so I've never intentionally changed the oil.

That reminds me of a Boeing engineer who lived across the street from me
when I was in Washington.  He had a Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6
engine and when it finally crapped out on him he pulled the vale cover
and revealed so much built up crud that I was amazed it was even running
up until the time.  It had about 150,000 miles on it and he swore that
he never changed the oil, only added to it when it got low.  I lost all
respect for engineers at that point!  :)

Joe (C)

P.S. My New Avalanche does not have a recommended oil change interval.
Instead, it has some programming in the ECU that calculates when the oil
needs changing based on how the car is driven and when it is time, a
display on the dash indicates it it time for an oil change.  It is reset
by turning the ignition switch on with the engine off and pumping the
gas pedal 3 times in 5 seconds.