fot

Re: Oil - what kind?

To: <WEmery7451@aol.com>, <henry@henryfrye.com>, <vinttr4@geneseo.net>,
Subject: Re: Oil - what kind?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 00:31:48 -0500
In my race engines, I break in with Valvoline Racing 20W-50, then switch to
Valvoline Durablend (synthetic), also 20W-50. Been doing this on the advice
of my engine builder, since I reached a point a few years ago where I can
say I HAVE an engine builder!  :-)  He was not specific about brand, just
that in the long run the synthetic is better, but it needs the mineral oil
for break in. Just put a new engine in a couple weeks ago. I've done three
autocrosses (10 runs) on the mineral oil. Changed to the synthetic today for
a road race this coming weekend.

I don't doubt Redline is good stuff, but I want something I can get at the
local O'Reilly's or Auto Zone. BTW, one reason you read about all the
Redline winners is good marketing -- post-Runoffs ad picturing all of their
winners (and 2nds and 3rds if they need to fill).

--Rocky Entriken