fot

Memories

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Memories
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:00:37 -0600
Camping at Blackhawk as a youngster when the race (and us) got rained out

As a youngster, walking through the paddock with my dad talking about all
of the cool race cars

Going to a CART race at Road America and walking up to the turn 14 fence to
watch the cars upon entry to the track.  The sound, speed and acceleration
were awe inspiring.

Same scenario at Indy for the first F-1 race.  Walking up to the catch
fence in "turn 1" and watching (and feeling the sound of) the Ferrari at
full song drift through the corner.

Seeing the horizon go straight up and down in old blue.  :(

First day driving a race car (test day at blackhawk, in old blue).  Bailing
out at the turn 6 corner station as flames started coming out of the tranny
tunnel (lost a carb part).

First time going down the front straight at Road America at speed in old
blue.  Going so fast the hood was bouncing up and down on the hinges...

Watching (favorite driver) Dale Earnhardt win Talledega from the stands.

Going through turn 2 at IRP without lifting.  Dad said it was possible
(before)...  Afterwards said "You took turn 2 FLAT OUT???  Wow!"

Getting sideways in the kink at Road America (early apex, had to lift).  So
much adrenaline that my hands went numb.

The boys from England at Mid-Ohio 2002.  They have a little different
concept of "vintage racing".  Fun to see Triumphs go THAT fast!

Winning the All Triumph race at Mosport in 2003 (should have been 2nd to
the old man, tho).  Knowing that the rear tires were almost down to the
cords, but had to keep on it to keep the 2nd place car behind me.  Having
daughter, family and many friends to celebrate with made it even more special.

Buying R. John Lye's former auto-x legend.

Duel with uncle jack at Road America.  8 laps, I passed him 5 times, he
passed me 6 (the 6th  when the throttle linkage broke 2 corners from
beating him).  Driving most of the race one handed, other hand on gear
shift and knob as the gear shift knob (with OD switch) broke off in turn 1.

Kas Kastner thanking ME for help (some of the pictures in the
book).  Unbelievable.  And treasured.

And, many more to come...

- Tony Drews