Re: G-cube "dropping ready" in staging.

To: VettPilot@aol.com, geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: G-cube "dropping ready" in staging.
From: Arthur Emerson <vreihen@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
VettPilot@aol.com wrote:

> While in staging the GEEZ software frequently "drops ready" by going
> NO DEVICE.
>
> In order to overcome this condition I sometimes have to unplug the
> G-Cube, and the serial connector to get GEEZ to recognize the device,
> and begin polling again.
>
> I'm losing a lot of run recording due to this aggrevating condition.
>
> I'm using a 486/33 laptop w/ the G-Cube plugged directly into the
> serial port.
>
> Is the Cube losing power (ie not enough power going thru the serail
> interface)?

Geez, (no pun intended!) I thought that I was the only one
having this problem!!!

In my case, it got a little bit better when I started using
the external power module.  Still, it wasn't 100%.  Sometimes,
GEEZ refuses to even see the cube present after a few runs,
and a reboot was the easiest fix.  (My notebook is set up to
automatically start GEEZ on reboot, and rebooting is the easiest
thing to do when you can't see the screen in the sun.)  If
anybody's collecting hardware data, it's an Acer 382 w/150 Mhz
Pentium [non-MMX] and 16MB RAM.

In troubleshooting this, I disabled all power management,
thinking that the CPU was dozing off and losing the cube.  Then,
I tried keeping the notebook plugged into my power inverter
between runs.  Even then, it was rare to get all of my runs
captured on any given day.  At the Petersburg ProSolo, I
only managed to get 4 out of 8 runs captured on Saturday. :-(
I didn't even bother hooking it up on Sunday.  :-(  :-(
That was the last time that I tried capturing with my notebook.

If you want to avoid loads of frustration, spend the $159
or whatever a cheap Palm goes for these days.....

-Arthur