Re: G-cube "dropping ready" in staging.

To: GEEZ@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: G-cube "dropping ready" in staging.
From: Todd Green <tag@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 09:40:52 -0600
>Downloading???  Oh, yeah, I guess that I'm the only person
>crazy enough to set up an RF wireless network link between
>my notebook and my new in-car data capture device.  Shhhh...

I'm generally a little too busy driving the car to be watching the data
in the paddock at the same time, quantum physics not withstanding ;)

Wireless is the way to go with laptops though.

>should be starting their search.  I've given up on my notebook
>for data capture, and haven't lost a run since switching to
>the new capture hardware for the Ayer tour last month.

For those who won't/can't switch to a Palm there are other tweaks that
you can do to minimize Window's desire to muck with disk access.

If you look at your system file you can set two options:

   [386Enh]

   MinPagingFileSize=98304
   MaxPagingFileSize=98304

   [vcache]

   MinFileCache=4096
   MaxFileCache=4096

This will cause Windows to not try to grow or shrink your virtual memory
or suck up all of your physical memory caching files.  Adjust the actual
sizes of these variables depending on how much ram you actually have (I
have 88MB in my laptop.)

ObDisclaimer: I'm a Unix hack, not a Windows geek and you should only
start mucking with system critical files if you know what you are doing.
This might not work under all versions of Windows.  Caveat emptor,
etc. etc.

Todd