Re: G-cube "dropping ready" in staging.

To: VettPilot@aol.com
Subject: Re: G-cube "dropping ready" in staging.
From: Arthur Emerson <vreihen@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:20:48 -0700 (PDT)
VettPilot@aol.com wrote:

> As to the Palmtop...I was afraid that you were going to tell me that.
> Would much rather be able to correct the situation rather than have
> to go through the extra step of DL-ing the run(s) to the laptop to
> see it(them).

Downloading???  Oh, yeah, I guess that I'm the only person
crazy enough to set up an RF wireless network link between
my notebook and my new in-car data capture device.  Shhhh...
please don't tell the SEB that I can retrieve my GEEZ data
when the car is on the course and I'm sitting in the paddock! :-)

I think that it bears mentioning that I've got over
14 years in as a network administrator, and religiously don't
install crap like screen savers because they are nothing but
trouble.  Also, the resident component of at least one major
virus protection package wreaks havoc on time-critical events
under Win95, so there's a place where everyone with this problem
should be starting their search.  I've given up on my notebook
for data capture, and haven't lost a run since switching to
the new capture hardware for the Ayer tour last month.

Anyway, I seem to recall Byron saying that he had some older
DOS-based capture software at one point.  If that were to
become available on the web site, people with problem notebooks
could install it on a bootable MS-DOS floppy disk.  That
would eliminate the operating system, multi-tasking preemption,
and the hard disk spinning down as the cause of the problem.....

-Arthur