Re: Overdrive wierdness - I'm not really sure

To: "Alan Schultz" <alan@andysnet.net>, "Bob Spidell"
Subject: Re: Overdrive wierdness - I'm not really sure
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:31:32 -0600
Purpose of the throttle switch is to save wear and tear on the overdrive and
driveline.  When you kick get out of overdrive the motor will need to be
going faster to match road speed.  By requiring a certain degree of throttle
before this happens you should get less of a clunk when you shift out of OD.

It is probably uneccessary, Triumphs and many other cars did fine without
the extra bits, but it is the way they were built, I kind of enjoy mine.  If
you know a stop is coming up you can switch out of OD, take your foot off
the gas to slow down, and then when going slower give a little throttle to
kick out of OD.  I don't really like the feature when a stop comes up
suddenly or unexpectedly, because I still want to kick it out of OD before I
slow down.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1