Re: SHE"S GOT LEGS>>>

To: James Lea <clocks@midcoast.com>
Subject: Re: SHE"S GOT LEGS>>>
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:44:06 -0600
Hi James & Bill,
Since the speedometer is driven from the transmission output, it has no
way of knowing that you changed the axle ratio. The speedometer must be
recalibrated. As Bill said, an indicated 70 mph would actually be 16%
faster, or about 81 mph.

To calculate:
1- Measure the tire rolling circumference. Mine comes out to 79 inches
or 6.58 feet.

2- Calculate the overall drive ratio. For a 28% overdrive, mine comes
out at 3.54 x .78 = 2.76. For a 22% od, it would be 3.54 x .82 = 2.90.
NOTE: The drive ratio is 1 divided by 1.28 = .78. For a 22% od it would
be 1/1.22 = .82.

3- Calculate drive shaft revolutions per mile. At 60 mph. 5280 ft/ 6.58
ft (the tire circumference) = 802 revolutions per mile & at 60 mph, it
also = 802 revolutions per minute.

4- 802 revolutions per minute x 2.76 overall ratio = 2214 RPM at 60 mph.

5- Multiply 2214 rpm by 1.33 for 80 mph. (80/60 = 1.33) = 2944 rpm.

6- In direct drive at 60 mph, it would be 3.54 overall ratio, so 802 X
3.54 = 2840 rpm vs 2214 in od.

Dave Russell
BN2