RE: Does Anybody's Healey Run Well All or Most of the Time

To: "'Ned Smith'" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: RE: Does Anybody's Healey Run Well All or Most of the Time
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:27:32 -0800
Ned,

Let me chime in here.  I seized up a 1978 Fiat Spider back in 1982.  I had
just changed the oil and forgot to tighten the oil filter all the way.  When
the filter fell off it took all of a few seconds to lock-up.  These
combustion engines like their oil.  At the time I was in Bolder Colorado and
had a car load of coeds in the car.  A friend pulled up in a BJ8 and
proceeded to transfer the three hotties to his car.  I was both embarrassed
and defeated.  Attention to details.

I now own a 1960 BT7 which I have taken to Eureka, Tahoe, Klamath Falls and
any rally or driving get together I can find time for.  The only breakdowns
I have had which temporarily stranded me were rotors, fuel pump and OD.  All
of which I fixed on the spot except the OD which I was able to get home in
non-OD.  I have rebuilt everything I can to make it as reliable as possible.
I changed to a Smitty with a Toyota transmission which makes it smoother and
easier to drive and more reliable.

My plans for the summer include the California Alpine 500 in April, The
Colorado Glenwood Springs Rally and the Rendezvous in Nelsen BC followed by
a tour back through BC and Oregon.  I will also attend the local events such
as Palo Alto, San Juan Batista and others.  The GGAHC does some great
driving events each year.

I do carry lots of spares and keep my AAA membership up to date and know my
car well.  By driving it a lot I have found, corrected and prepared for the
most common failures.  For the distance runs I try and keep in a pack with
the idea that someone has a spare in their boot and the knowledge to fix
most anything.  I admit that I get an adrenaline rush EVERY time I set out
on a long run from fear of getting stuck in the middle of no where.  The
farther I get the less I feel the fear.  But you know what, that is healthy
since it keeps me thinking about what to do in this or that breakdown
situation form my own or others experiences.

If it is of any consolation, my Healey is easier and less expensive to
maintain than my wife, but don't tell her that.

So tighten those shock mounts, adjust those valves, top off the oil, toss
some rotors, caps and a NAPA pump in the boot and let's go to Nelsen !!!!

Whoo hooooo   the driving season is almost here.

Healey on !!!

Tracy (The Broken Knuckle Amateur Mechanic and Husband of 15 years still in
Training)