RE: Prop shaft

To: "Glenn" <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>, <Joseph_Pitassi@brown.edu>, "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>
Subject: RE: Prop shaft
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:13:09 -0400
Cc: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have had 3 or 4 drive shafts made for V8 conversions, in the Washington,
D.C. area, where nothing is cheap. The last one was about 6 months ago. New
transmission yoke to fit a T-5, new U-joints, my flange for a MGC rear,
because the shop couldn't match it, all balanced & painted,$160.00.

Stop going to custom drive shaft shops. Find a spring shop that specializes
in big trucks. Almost all also do drive shafts. I have always gotten same or
next day service. When you find a shop, stop in & talk to the counter man &
find out how they want you to take the measurements. Take the measurements
with the car on jack stands, put the stands under the rear axle tubes so the
springs are not extended. It is important to take measurements "their way"
since there is a good bit of slide in the transmission yoke. If they think
you have bottomed out the yoke, but you have it mid way...... They are the
experts, they will give you the proper amount of clearance at the tranny if
you let them.

Jim Stuart