Re: Gauge Bezels

To: m1garand@speakeasy.net
Subject: Re: Gauge Bezels
From: "Simon Austin" <simon_mgb@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:28:27 -0700
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James,

Here's an idea: weld some sheet metal over the gauge holes on the metal portion and then cut out new openings. I don't know the size of the late-model gauges (120 mm comes to mind) so any "edge" could be filled in or just paint them black.

With this plate in place, you could actually purchase any size gauges you like and cut new holes to fit.

I'm not a welder but I'd think spot-welding with a MIG wouldn't damage the vinyl/foam dash cover.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Simon

All,
A little off topic, but has anyone had any success with installing 3-3/8" gauges in a 77-80 MGB dash? No one seems to make an exact diameter replacement gauge. I was looking for any ideas on making/buying bezels or backing-plates to fill the gap. My stock gauges actualy work fine, but I want to go to all electric, and I also dont like the look of the last generation of MG gauges.

Thanks,
James J.