Now epoxy bonds, was Gauge Bezels

To: James Nazarian <jhn3@uakron.edu>, Simon Austin <simon_mgb@hotmail.com>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Now epoxy bonds, was Gauge Bezels
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:31:46 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Ah, Grasshopper, you must pause and consider..... A reinforced epoxy can have an ultimate strength far higher than steel and other exotic metals, but the limiting factor here is the bond between an epoxy and a metal surface. Epoxy w/o fiber reinforcement is often weaker than ferrous metals. There is no chemical or crystaline bonding between the epoxy and the substrate in this type of repair , just a 'bite' dependant on the surface roughness of the prepared metal. We're talking about adhesion vs. cohesion here. Welding literaly melts two like materials together, although the Heat ffected Zone (HAZ) is usualy weaker than the parent metal if the parent has had any heat treating.
I think OEM's use it and approve epoxy only in places where welding is overkill. Epoxy bonding (between metal and metal) is applicable where brazing or soldering is acceptable, in my humble opinion based upon my observations (not having seen any OEM documentation describing their decision process). Having said that, some people have brazed entire car and airplane chassis to ease field repairs, so adhesive bonds can be quite strong, none the less.
James J.
p.s. I didn't mean the Grasshopper comment to be either serious or condesending, hope it didn't sound like either.

James Nazarian wrote:

AFIK it is as strong or stronger then welding and is in wide use by both
OEMs and collision shops.