Re: Now epoxy bonds, was Gauge Bezels

To: James Nazarian <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Subject: Re: Now epoxy bonds, was Gauge Bezels
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:24:50 -0400
Cc: Simon Austin <simon_mgb@hotmail.com>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I was flying in a 777 recently, and the near-total absence of rivets on the wings was somewhere between 'cool' and 'unnerving'. It's interesting to note that alot of race cars use composites largely made from carbon fiber, but they have a certain amount of kevlar fibers in there too to keep the pieces from turning into shrapnel after an impact. They may crack through the epoxy and the carbon fibers, but the kevlar will hold and keep the pieces from going akimbo.
JJJ

James Nazarian wrote:

There are certainly enough planes and specialty cars
completely bonded together, but I'm not ready to bond structural parts, call
me old fashioned.