Re: Desparate to "FINISH"

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Desparate to "FINISH"
From: Robert Rhodes <aa101479@dasher.csd.sc.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:59:28 -0400 (EDT)

> Chris,
> recently someone on this list told how he had approached this problem, I
> thought it was a great idea!
> He bought quality paint and took it too one of those cheapo paint places.
> He talked the guys into painting his car with the supplied paint at the end
> of the day so that his car could stay in the paint booth over night.
> Since these guys paint one car after another, they have plenty of practice
> and are likely to do a good job.
> Of course, you have to do a good job on the prep work first.
> Ulix
>

>                      __/__,__         ________/____,,_______
> ................... (_o____o_) ..... (___ O _________ O ___/ ..............
>                     '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy

        I did something similar, except that I did not supply the paint
(being young and in college and generally broke).  While the paint job
was of a reasonable standard it was not quite what I had in mind.

        I had sanded the car, stripped what was necessary and delivered
the car to the local branch of a national chain and spoke with the manager.

ME:  I just want it painted the original color (sort of orange).

HIM:  Not red?

ME:  No, the original orange.

HIM:  There sure are alot of red MGs around

ME:  Yep, that's one reason I want mine orange.

HIM:  OK, orange it is.

        Well, as you may guess when I returned to pick the car up the
next day it was red.  Then I was red.  Needless to say if I had purchased
the paint at least it would have been the correct color.  Also, everyone
should take note that just because the car has been repainted a different
color than original doesn't' mean that the PO was a DPO.

P.S.  Sold the car two months later to someone who wanted a red MGB for
his daughter.  Probably got more for it than I would have if it had
remained orange

Rob Rhodes
72 MGB (White, but still not the original color)