Re: Desparate to "FINISH"

To: MGBCHRIS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Desparate to "FINISH"
From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 20:34:04 -0700
>What's left - the body of course.  This car is extremely weathered, and bears
>the traces of several very minor scrapes, door dings, etc.  Paint is the
>worst, with the paint being pitted in many areas.  I am no body and paint
>man, so I have had the car looked at by a few pros, and the consensus is that
>the car needs to be stripped.

>protions of the savings I would realize if I did it myself, and I don't know
>if I could obtain respectable looking results.  Outfits like MAACO are out
>there, but I question the quality of work I would end up with.  Bottom line
>is that a $2000-$4000 paint job is out of the question.  Any
>suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

 Chris,

I sympathise completely.  I'm in the middle of stripping, or more
accurately, completely gutting my `66 GT. At present the only thing left in
the interior is the dash and driver's seat.  Persevere, you'll be amazed how
much you can accomplish yourself; particularly if you can find a
co-operative body shop that will work with you.  So much for the moral
support part of my message.  Now come's the advice part....

Never, I mean NEVER(!) take your car to MAACO or any such "$300 paints any
car" type of place. The old adage about getting what you pay for does not,
in my experience, apply to these places. They exist on volume not quality
and the paint job you'll get for your $299.99 is not worth half that.  I
speak from experience.  The only real function these shops have is to allow
unscrupulous venders to fleece the uneducated car buyer who is fooled by
shiney paint covering a litany of woes.  Sell your Toyota if you have to but
DON'T pay for a cheapo respray.

(The above "Toyota" comment was blabbed in the heat of the moment, I meant
no offense.....)

Cheers,

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT