Re: Desparate to "FINISH"

To: MGBCHRIS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Desparate to "FINISH"
From: tom.wagner@Central.Sun.COM (Tom Wagner - Program Manager)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:42:13 -0500
Chris:

Here is my $.02 worth and take it for what you want,
but here is how I am doing the same thing you mentioned:

        I have a 67 B that was raised and slopply painted
        in Florida with a lot of salt in the air.  I am in the
        process of stripping the entire car with paint stripper
        from a hardware store(Home Depot).  So far I have done the following
        down to bare metal(all exterior parts, removed doors and done inside
        and out of them, also have removed bonnet lid and hood(Trunk lid) and
        stripped both inside and out.

        The one thing that I do have is a compressor as I will learn to
        do some body work on the car, and paint it with primer.

        But the CHEAP part of all of this will be a very nice and respectable
        paint job.  My high school in the area has a body shop class for high
school
        kids, and the teacher is the ex owner of a body shop and supervises
        everything that the kids do the car.  If it does not meet his specs,
        it is redone.

        Next is the cost, as the labor is FREE, so you pay for the paint at
        wholesale prices, because the school is not our to make money here.
        My total paint job will cost aobut $200, and will look good when done.

        I have had this done on another car when I lived in Dallas at a school
        there.  Excellent work there and I don't see any reason why it should
        not be just as excellent quality at this school here since it was
        recommended from the school teacher in Dallas.  The only downside is
        you have to wait for them to be ready for you.  Sometime during the
        school year they are in the paint portion of the class.  I will wait
        for them to get ready for me to save the money.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Tom Wagner

`67' MGB
(Various stages of restoration - All
Paint removed to metal, working on rust
removal.) Waiting for day to become daily
vehicle.

`92' Honda Civic LX(Excellent car)

`93' Honda Civic CDX(Moms car)

Sun Microsystems