Re: Door fit.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Door fit.
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:07:45 -0500
Hi Chris:

I had this same problem with my B.  I took it to an old friend who runs an
upscale body shop with a high Porsche/Jaguar clientele.  He looked at the
car and said, "John, leave it with me.  Louie will fix it".  I came back
later that day.  The door was perfect and the window that had never
properly met the hardtop (I had it on because I wanted to see how the car
looked with it) fit beautifully.  I asked Doug, the body shop man, how this
was possible.  He said that Louie had learned body work in Europe where he
apprenticed with Mercedes.  He had then worked over there for many years
until he emigrated to Canada.  I asked Doug what I owed him.  He said,
"John, I'll catch you later.  I like to fix honest cars".  'Nuff said.

John McEwen

BTW, the repair consists of a proper hinge adjustment.  The window is a
matter of aligning stops and angle of mechanism.  I had tried all of these,
but I didn't work for Mercedes.  It took Louie less than 30 minutes to fix
these things.