Re: British Car Appreciation

To: mowogmg@pil.net
Subject: Re: British Car Appreciation
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 21:32:42 EDT
On Sat, 06 Sep 1997 18:15:22 -0400 Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net> writes:
>>No kai you wouldn't control the prices. You only control the supply.
>> The price is set when and only when you sell. not before.
>
>I wouldn't?  Yes I control the supply, but no one will buy an MG from
>me if
>they don't pay me the price I want.

Only if they buy one.  If the price is too high , no one buys. Now you
have all the supply and nothing to do with them
The second thing that happens is someone looks and says, "hey, there may
be a market out there" and begins producing/re-manufacturing LBC's. Now
you don't have the worlds' supply and you have competition.  And if you
don't think it can happen, ask British motor heritage. Since they have
begun re-maufacturing basic components, the  price of those used
components has fallen.
>Look at Intel for example.  They make the chip inside most computers,
>they
>sell it to distributors...at a price *they* set.  This price then
>determines the final cost of your computer.  Only Intel can make Intel
>chips, so they control the flow...and the prices are fueled by demand.

So long as there is no viable substitute for a good, price is ARTIFICALLY
set generally by the supplier holding down supplies, driving the price
up. But, there are quite viable alternitives for LBC hobbyists. Thus, you
would end up with no market.
>>Please check with your Economics teacher (assuming you had/have one)
>>before popping off about something of which you are obviously
>abysmally
>>ignorant.
>
>By the way I am not ignorant in this subject, my dad has a masters in
>International Economics and another degree in International Trade.
>You
>have no idea how many hours I have had to listen to my dad ramble on
>about
>trade/economics...
The number of hours you had to sit and listen is not an issue.  The
amount you heard is.
>>By the way, what has the esthetics of  your web site have to do with
>>whether or not the demand for LBC has increased or no?

>Well since you are on this list I assume you can read, so I don't have
>teach you that.  If you had read the original post, obviously you
>didn't,
>you would have realized that the theme of it was that MGs aren't in
>demand
>as much because the younger generations aren't interested in them.
>Now use
>you brain, and I am sure you can come up with an answer to your
>question.

The question still hasn't been answered.  Interest in LBC DOES NOT equate
demand.  In the last week, I've probably had a dozen teeny-boppers
comment on how "neat" my BGT was or  how "cool" was the Midget.  How many
of them do you think will be in the market for an MG this week, this
month, this year or for that matter, before the end of the century?
  You cannot say that just because you had some nice comments on your
website from a certain segment of the population, that is somehow
translates into a demand for LBC's.
  And the reverse is as true. Just because someone doesn,t hit on your
site, is not indicative of lack of demand for MG's.