Re: British Car Appreciation

To: mowogmg@pil.net
Subject: Re: British Car Appreciation
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 02:42:23 +0000
> >No kai you wouldn't control the prices. You only control the supply.
> > The price is set when and only when you sell. not before.
>
> I wouldn't?  Yes I control the supply, but no one will buy an MG from me if
> they don't pay me the price I want.

Then they wouldn't buy.  MGs aren't the only game in town.  If you
set the prices too high, you'd simply end up being the owner of the
largest MG collection in the world.

> Look at Intel for example.  They make the chip inside most computers, they
> sell it to distributors...at a price *they* set.  This price then
> determines the final cost of your computer.  Only Intel can make Intel
> chips, so they control the flow...and the prices are fueled by demand.

Intel only controls the prices to a point.  If they had total
control, their fastest processor would still be a 286, and they'd
be selling them for $1000 a pop.  They have to set their prices at
such a level that they will still find willing buyers.  If they get
too proud of their product, companies such as Cyrix, AMD, and C&T
will be only too willing to take up the slack and provide more,
cheaper chips.

> >Please check with your Economics teacher (assuming you had/have one)
> >before popping off about something of which you are obviously abysmally
> >ignorant.
>
> By the way I am not ignorant in this subject, my dad has a masters in
> International Economics and another degree in International Trade.  You
> have no idea how many hours I have had to listen to my dad ramble on about
> trade/economics...

Learning by osmosis only goes so far.  My father is one of the
foremost drilling engineers in the industry (Ron Gardner), my oldest
brother is a doctor, and my other brother is a chemical engineer, but
you won't find me spouting off or insulting other people about these
subjects.  If a question pops up, I ask them about it.  It's usually
best not to pretend too much knowledge on a subject, because someone
with years of formal education and many more years of practical
experience will spot me a mile away.

> >By the way, what has the esthetics of  your web site have to do with
> >whether or not the demand for LBC has increased or no?
>
> Well since you are on this list I assume you can read, so I don't have to
> teach you that.  If you had read the original post, obviously you didn't,
> you would have realized that the theme of it was that MGs aren't in demand
> as much because the younger generations aren't interested in them.  Now use
> you brain, and I am sure you can come up with an answer to your question.

As for your web site, I visited it today, and while it is technically
very impressive, even more so than I would have expected, it seems
very light on content.  Most of the pages seem to still be in the
"vaporware" stage, and the production data page was lifted straigt
from another page.  I could have done without the full-colour JPG of
"our beloved editor Kai" as well.  Overall, your fingerprints seem to
be a little too evident on the page.  Remember, great artists sign
their work, and that's all.
        Technical/content aspects aside, remember that anyone that visits
your page probably got there as a result of a search for MG pages, or
from seeing your .sig file on a message here.  You're preaching to
the converted.  I would hardly call the visitors to your page a fair
cross-section of the car-buying youth.
Scott