Re: British Car Appreciation

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: British Car Appreciation
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 00:31:10 +0000
Trevor wrote:
<<SNIP>>
>   To see the classic price curve of cars, look at
> ford model As and Ts. The highest value seems to
> appear when the people who were teenagers when
> they came out are now in their disposable income
> years.
>
>   Once the people who yearned for the cars when young
> die or get too old to collect cars, the values fall. Case
> in point, how badly do you want a nice Model T in
> concours condition? Probably not badly, if at all.
>
> --
> Trevor Boicey
> Ottawa, Canada
> tboicey@brit.ca
> http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/

Trevor,
        I believe this to be true as well.  Even though they might not
appeal to us, there are many cars that were popular during the 80's
that will be considered unique collector cars to future generations.
The Twin-turbo Trans Am produced for one year, the short-lived Fiero,
the RX-7 and the Eclipse are all worthy cars, and already have quite
a following.  I think it certainly helps to have grown up seeing a
particular car if you're going to still want one later in life when
you can afford to buy and maintain several of them.  I know it's not
necessary (see Kai, myself, and several others on the list), but I
really don't think the numbers of MG enthusiasts can go anywhere but
down.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com