Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 09:28:11 -0700 (MST)
On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Benjamin Ruset wrote:

> >  Having an American motor won't replace your LUCAS electronics,
> >your Girling brake parts, or any number of parts that say MOWOG
> >on them and will still leave you stranded.
>
> One of my co-workers used to have a Jaguar Mark V, and he said that he
> converted from Lucas to Chevrolet (GM) electronics, and he said it solved
> most of the problems he had with the car.

Converting from (35 year old) Lucas electrics to (new) Lucas electrics
would probably also solved those problems.

I've had just about all I can take of this!  :)  I'm sick and tired of
hearing people bitch about reliability.  Electrical connections on any car
will be less reliable after 20, 30, or 40 years.  It's not because "Lucas
sucks".  My theory is "the simpler, the better."  If you have fewer things
to go wrong, fewer things _will_ go wrong.  That's why cars from the
1970's seem to have more problems.  They had _way_ more things to go
wrong.  To ensure reliability on any old car, I would suggest replacing
things that are likely to wear out or be worn out at the age of the car.
Replace hoses, hydraulics, rubber bits, bushings, etc.  Clean and tighten
electrical connections and the like.  You can probably do nearly all of
this over a weekend.  Don't get overly ambitious and tear the car to bits.
Start at one end and do one thing at a time, like right rear taillight
connections.  Continue.  Good grounds are _not_ overrated.

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA                kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.                      http://www.khoral.com
Albuquerque NM USA                 /staff/kevins/mgstuff/mgstuff.html